• Fund for Modern Courts has presented its 2017 John J. McCloy Memorial Award to Alan Levine, a partner at Cooley, in recognition of his outstanding contributions to improving the administration of justice in New York state. Judge Carmen Beauchamp Ciparick of Greenberg Traurig was awarded the organization’s Career Public Service Award in recognition of her commitment to the pursuit of justice through public service.
• Legal Services NYC has elected Susan Kohlmann, managing partner at Jenner & Block, as chair of its board of directors.
• Smiley & Smiley partner Andrew Smiley, has been elected president of the New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers. He was sworn in by Hon. Rowan D. Wilson, associate judge of the New York State Court of Appeals, on May 11.
• Michael Regan, a partner at Smith, Gambrell & Russell, has been appointed as chair of the state courts of superior jurisdiction committee of the New York City Bar Association, effective Sept. 1.
• Michael Lane, a partner at Cullen and Dykman has been named 2017 Adjunct Teacher of the Year by Fordham Law School.
• The New York State Bar Association has recognized the following recipients with this year’s President’s Pro Bono Service Award:
– Adam Hunt, a senior litigation associate at Morrison & Foerster;
– Victor Piacente, a solo practitioner in Yonkers;
– Byrgen Finkelman, a solo practitioner in Albany County;
– Todd Long, assistant corporate counsel for the city of Syracuse;
– Eugene Peckham, a retired Broome county surrogate and acting Supreme Court justice and a partner at Levene, Gouldin & Thompson;
– Paul B. Watkins, a solo practitioner in Rochester;
– Lawlor Quinlan III, a partner at Connors in Buffalo;
– Robert Nahoum, principal attorney at the Law Offices of Robert Nahoum in Nyack;
– Henry Mascia, a civil litigator and immigration attorney at Rivkin Radler in Uniondale;
– Thomas Wojtaszek, a solo practitioner in Brooklyn;
– Barbara Weiner, an attorney emeritus in the public benefits and immigration units at Empire Justice Center and at the The Legal Project, both in Albany;
– Paul Q. Andrews, an associate at Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer.