A Waterbury attorney who had his law license deactivated in December after he failed to show up to represent clients in court is facing contempt charges for not turning files over to another lawyer to handle those cases.

The former clients of Raymond Kotulski, who practiced on West Main Street, had complained after he failed to show up to court to represent them.

“There were a lot of ‘no-shows,’” said Karyl L. Carrasquilla, Assistant Disciplinary Counsel. “That’s a tipoff of a lawyer having troubles.”

He was placed on inactive status in December of 2013 after clients made complaints and after Carrasquilla filed a presentment against him.

Kotulski was found to be “incapacitated” and had his license deactivated after failing to show up at a hearing in December and checking into a drug-and-alcohol rehabilitation center.

In a May 13 decision signed by Waterbury Superior Court Judge Mark Taylor, Kotulski was ordered to be present at a future hearing with the outstanding missing files, unless he has proof from a licensed medical professional or mental health professional. “Failure to comply would subject defendant to contempt penalties,” Judge Taylor wrote in his ruling.

Judge Taylor has not scheduled a date for Kotulski’s disciplinary hearing.

According to his Linkedin profile, the University of Connecticut School of Law graduate practiced civil, family, criminal, housing, immigration, and probate law, among other areas.

The Boston College undergraduate was a solo at the Law Office of Raymond Kotulski since October of 2007.

In December, when Kotulski was placed on inactive status, attorney Jerry Attanasio, of Waterbury, was appointed trustee to protect Kotulski’s interests and to inventory his files and take control of his clients’ funds accounts.

In May of last year, Kotulski made news when he failed to appear in court twice for a client charged with sexual assault, kidnapping, unlawful restraint, criminal possession of a firearm and other charges.

In May, the Litchfield County Times reported that the case of defendant Randy Brumell, who had a scheduled appearance in the Litchfield Judicial District, was continued for a second time because Kotulski had to miss the hearing.

In that case, a woman told police that Brumell raped her at his Torrington bike shop after he kidnapped her at gunpoint. She had dated Brumell previously and met him in Torrington to talk. The victim said that Brumell berated her and then took her back to his store where he raped her.

In July of last year, Kotulski was quoted in an article in The News-Times in Danbury about his client Flavia DaSilva, who had been convicted by a jury of two counts of risk of injury to a minor and interfering with a police officer after a May trial. Authorities said that DaSilva “used the criminal justice system as a weapon,” and coached her stepchildren to lie to authorities about being sexually abused by their biological mother. DaSilva had apparently schemed to get their mother out of the lives of the children of their father, who DaSilva had married.

After the verdict, Kotulski was quoted as saying he “respected the jury’s verdict,” said still believed his client. Kotulski had said at the time that DaSilva who has no prior criminal record, faces the likelihood of being deported back to Brazil after she completes her sentence.