Lawyers will deliver opening statements in Paul Manafort’s trial in Washington, D.C., on Sept. 24, a week later than initially planned. Jury selection will begin on Sept. 17.
The adjusted timetable for Manafort’s trial was announced during a hearing Tuesday with special counsel lawyers and Manafort’s defense attorneys, as they prepare for Manafort’s jury trial in the District of Columbia.
A Virginia federal jury last week found the former Trump campaign chairman guilty of eight tax and bank fraud counts, but Manafort is still fighting charges in D.C. that he conspired to launder money, tampered with witnesses and failed to disclose his past foreign lobbying work.
A lawyer for Manafort, Richard Westling, asked U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson, who is overseeing his D.C. case, to delay the trial by a week. During Tuesday’s hearing, defense lawyers told the judge they needed more time to prepare for the case, having just come off the Virginia trial.
The judge declined, but she did appear to give some breathing room for lawyers by setting opening statements for a week later.
Westling also told Jackson on Tuesday that Manafort’s legal team would file a motion for change of venue, citing the publicity of the Virginia trial.
“Where do you want to go?” Jackson asked.
“I don’t know if I have an answer to that, judge,” Westling said, before telling her lawyers would file the motion by close of business Wednesday.
During the hearing, lawyers working for the special counsel, Robert Mueller III, also confirmed that three prosecutors—Andrew Weissmann, Jeannie Rhee and Greg Andres—would try the case. Andres also tried the Alexandria, Virginia, case against Manafort.
Manafort, who is jailed pending trial, did not appear Tuesday in court. His lawyers waived his right to appear.