Lawyer Justice Scales Credit, Lightspring/

A Wallingford personal injury attorney was reprimanded by the Statewide Grievance Committee for grabbing an acquaintance by the neck and punching him in the face.

In its February report of attorney grievance activities released Wednesday, the committee reprimanded Robert J. Weber III and ordered him to take a continuing legal education course in ethics at his own expense. The course consists of a minimum of three credit hours and must be taken within nine months.

Weber, who owns The Law Office of R.J. Weber III, reportedly became incensed after a verbal altercation between his wife, Marlene Weber-Volpe, and John Migliaro Jr. following a baseball game in which the families’ sons were teammates.

According to the grievance committee, Weber-Volpe made comments to Migliaro after the game that were critical of his son’s pitching. The comments came after their children’s team lost.

Migliaro, who said he suffered a fractured facial bone, filed his complaint in August 2016. The committee held a hearing in New Haven in April 2017.

The two men got into an altercation in the parking lot after Weber’s wife began yelling that she was assaulted. Weber-Volpe later told police that Migliaro bumped her arm on purpose.

According to the reviewing committee, Weber approached Migliaro and demanded to know if Migliaro had put his hands on his wife. While Migliaro denied saying it, Weber told authorities that Migliaro said, “Yeah, what are you going to do about it?” A reviewing committee report also stated none of the witnesses heard Migliaro make the alleged comment.

It was then that Weber assaulted Migliaro, according to the reviewing committee. Weber was restrained by another parent during the altercation.

In testimony before the committee, Weber acknowledged his wife was not in immediate danger “but stated he was comfortable with his decision to strike the complainant.”

The reviewing committee wrote that Weber “committed a criminal act that reflects adversely on the lawyer’s honesty, trustworthiness or fitness as a lawyer in other respects. … The respondent’s conduct in this matter involved a clear and obvious act of violence.”

While Weber was only charged with a breach of peace instead of assault, the committee wrote: “This appears to be the result of a limited investigation of the incident by local police.” The charges were ultimately dismissed after both men made $300 charity donations.

Weber did not respond to a request for comment. Weber is represented by colleague Thomas E. Stevens, who declined to comment.