Benjamin Brafman, right, attorney for Harvey Weinstein, speaks during Weinstein’s arraignment in court, in New York, Monday, July 9, 2018. (Jefferson Siegel/The Daily News via AP, Pool)

Harvey Weinstein pleaded not guilty on Monday in a Manhattan state court to additional sexual misconduct charges, bringing the total charges against the once-powerful film producer to six felony counts.

But Weinstein’s lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, said he was confident that evidence presented in the case will help his client beat the charges, which now include two counts of predatory sexual assault, a charge that carries a maximum penalty of life in prison.

The new charges, which include a charge of first-degree sexual act, relates to conduct from 2006 involving an accuser who has not been named.

Weinstein, 66, arrived to his arraignment before acting Manhattan Supreme Court Justice James Burke in handcuffs and wearing a dark suit. He was uncuffed when he left the arraignment.   

Weinstein was previously arrested and arraigned in May on charges of first- and third-degree rape and first-degree criminal sexual act; the rape charges relate to another unnamed accuser who said she was victimized in 2013 and the criminal sexual act charge pertains to alleged conduct with Lucia Evans, a former aspiring actress who has said Weinstein forced her to give him oral sex in 2004, and who went public with her story.

Weinstein has also pleaded not guilty to the previous charges, arguing that he had a consensual relationship with the accuser from 2013.

Weinstein is out on $1 million bail on electronic surveillance, living in a family home in Westport, Connecticut. He surrendered his passport in May.

Speaking to reporters following the arraignment, Brafman said that, based on contacts with prosecutors in the case, he “anticipates” that additional accusers will come forward.

A spokesman for the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office declined to comment on whether it plans to file charges related to conduct dealing with additional accusers.

At the arraignment, Assistant Manhattan District Attorney Joan Illuzzi, who is leading the prosecution, requested that Weinstein be placed on house arrest and that he be required to reside in New York City.

“Obviously the defendant does stand a substantial chance of going to jail for a very, very long time,” Illuzzi said.

But Burke declined to grant the request without going into detail, stating simply that the terms of bail would remain the same.

Brafman said that the defense has obtained emails and witness testimony that could exonerate his client of the charges he faces.

“The case has not grown stronger for the prosecution,” Brafman said. “Indeed, since his arrest in May, his defense has grown substantially stronger as we have found overwhelming corroboration well beyond Mr. Weinstein’s assertions that support his claim that all sexual encounters were consensual and that he did not rape anyone.”

Brafman told reporters that Weinstein has been putting in work as a paralegal for Brafman’s firm, Benjamin A. Brafman and Associates, and has been pursuing film projects.

Gloria Allred, who was in the courtroom for Weinstein’s arraignment, told reporters that she represents the third accuser, but would not provide additional details about her client’s identity. But she said that she expects that her client will take the stand if the case goes to trial.

“Mr. Brafman, are you ready to state unequivocally that Mr. Weinstein is ready to take the witness stand and face questions before a jury?” Allred said.