1. Akerman LLP: Miami-based Akerman tops the list as the most popular firm for finance and insurance companies in the 2017 survey. The firm has successfully represented a wide range of companies in this space. Akerman’s revenue and headcount have also grown lately, as the firm has worked to meet the needs of clients outside of Florida.
2. McGuireWoods LLP: McGuireWoods comes in second. The firm -- which has 23 offices and more than 1,000 employees -- worked on a number of finance cases in 2017, including a high-profile suit against Wells Fargo over unauthorized auto loans and arbitration clauses. Changes can be expected this year under new chairman Jon Harmon, who has pledged to turn the firm into a “national powerhouse.”
3. Locke Lord: Despite a scandal in London in 2017, in which a now-departed partner was caught running a 21 million pound ($28,162,890) investment scheme, multinational Locke Lord remained a top choice for finance companies in particular.
4. Severson & Werson: Severson & Werson, a California-based firm with offices in Irvine and San Francisco, came in fourth in the analysis. The firm made headlines alongside Californian companies in 2017, defending embattled Wells Fargo in a suit that claimed the bank profited off of homebuyers who defaulted on their mortgages during the housing crisis. The firm has also worked with other California-born banks, such as Bank of America.
5. Shearman & Sterling LLP: It has been a good run for Shearman & Sterling. In addition to rounding out the top five, one of the firm’s star partners, Joseph Frank, also won litigator of the week in December 2017. Frank prevailed for client Nomura, saving the Japanese financial giant hundreds of millions in a case that could save other banks billions going forward.
6. Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP: Cahill comes in sixth. In 2017, the New York-based firm defended Credit Suisse against claims the international banking giant manipulated the Swiss Francs’ London Interbank Offered Rate for ten years. U.S. District Judge Sidney Stein of the Southern District of New York granted motions to dismiss the claims in October of last year.
7. Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP: This year’s list gets some Midwest representation with Hinshaw & Culbertson. The Chicago-based firm was the second most mentioned firm by insurance companies.
8. Anglin Flewelling Rasmussen Campbell & Trytten, LLP: Another California-based firm, Anglin Flewelling Rasmussen Campbell & Trytten has worked on high-profile cases for Wells Fargo.
9. Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.: Ogletree Deakins takes ninth place on this list, but the labor and employment law firm was the most mentioned for insurance companies. It’s the first Southern firm on the list, based in Atlanta.
10. Balch & Bingham LLP: Last but not least is another Southern firm, Balch & Bingham. The Alabama-based corporate law firm’s recent finance work has included advising First Partners Financial, Inc., when it was acquired by Progress Financial Corporation. The Birmingham Business Journal reports the deal led to a merged bank with approximately $1 billion in total assets.
Corporate Counsel affiliate ALM Legal Intelligence recently broke out finance and insurance data from its 2017 Who Represents America’s Biggest Companies Survey, to discover which law firms are winning the most business in these sectors. ALM Legal Intelligence analyzed data from the 2016 calendar year, found on PACER, with a focus on Fortune 1000 companies, NLJ-350 sized firms and some other small but highly active firms.