As a trainer in San Francisco’s financial district, I have clients who are super busy, and I encounter successful lawyers who struggle finding time to workout.
They often travel for work and don’t always have access to or time for a gym while they’re on the road. Travel puts a lot of physical and mental stress on the body, so it’s important to carve out even just a few minutes to move and breath.
I’ve created this 10-minute total body workout that can be done just about anywhere (perfect for a hotel room). Just be sure to slip a hip band like this and a resistance band like this in your suitcase.
Perform each of the following 10 exercises for one minute. If one minute is too much, try 45 seconds or 30 seconds. If you have more than 10 minutes, circuit through two or three times for a longer workout.
Be sure to do a quick dynamic warmup before you start. In this video I show a few seconds of proper form for each exercise and also demonstrate options for progressions. I’ve also included an image below the video that shows all of the moves.
- Forearm Plank
- Side Plank (options: add dips and/or twists)
- Lateral Side Steps
- Bodyweight Squats (option: hold a heavy object to add load for a goblet squat)
- Hip Thrusts
- Isometric Hip Extension Hold
- Half Kneeling Pull Down (option: combine cables for single arm)
- “Yoga Push Ups” (option: use knees to get up and focus on slow movement to the floor)
- Standing Row (option: combine cables for single arm)
- Band Breaks Across Chest (note: tuck your pelvis and keep your rib cage down)
Now that was quick, right?
Jonathan Jordan is a personal trainer, nutrition coach and corporate wellness consultant in San Francisco. Check out his blog JJ Fit 24/7.