The mother of an 18-year-old boy who died after using electronic cigarettes for three years filed the first wrongful death lawsuit against Juul Labs Inc. on Tuesday.
The suit, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, seeks unspecified damages, including punitive damages, for the death of Daniel David Wakefield, a resident of Pasco County, Florida, who died in in August of last year. His mother, Lisa Marie Vail, the plaintiff in the complaint, alleged that her son began using Juul’s e-cigarettes, which he believed to be safe, at age 15. Now, the complaint says, she is “sentenced to a life of sadness.”
This content has been archived. It is available through our partners, LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law.
To view this content, please continue to their sites.
Not a Lexis Subscriber?
Not a Bloomberg Law Subscriber?
LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law are third party online distributors of the broad collection of current and archived versions of ALM's legal news publications. LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law customers are able to access and use ALM's content, including content from the National Law Journal, The American Lawyer, Legaltech News, The New York Law Journal, and Corporate Counsel, as well as other sources of legal information.
For questions call 1-877-256-2472 or contact us at [email protected]