Career Clinic: Language skills - career boost or waste of time?
"My firm offers beginners classes in French, Spanish and Mandarin. Putting aside the cultural worth - from a career perspective, is it worth learning one of these new languages? My worry is that three hours a week of tuition isn't going to make me capable of conducting business in that language, so will it benefit my career in any way? I'm an NQ and have done an MA, Phd, GDL and LPC, so I feel like I've been studying my whole life. Will this improve my CV or will it simply help me with ordering in restaurants when on holiday?"
“My firm offers beginners classes in French, Spanish and Mandarin. Putting aside the cultural worth – from a career perspective, is it worth learning one of these new languages?
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651