Editor's comment: Being Berwins
If the cliche that pundits fall back on is that hard times require hard choices, SJ Berwin will have nothing to worry about. As can be seen from our analysis this week, the firm has not shied away from difficult decisions as its practice has been pounded by the recession. It has been ready to hold back profits to keep the business capitalised, including deciding not to pay out its most recently scheduled quarterly profit distribution last month. Likewise, the firm has shown nerve in expanding its international reach during tough times and has avoided aggressive staff cuts made at many rivals. That latter move in particular will almost certainly prove a sound business decision, reinforcing the firm’s long-term efforts to improve staff engagement.
Growing pains and tough decisions at SJ Berwin
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651