Training and education: Lessons for the future
Last week we unveiled to our future trainees what we see as a groundbreaking approach in their development: a fully-fledged MBA me with BPP's Business School. Why is Simmons & Simmons doing this? Given the current economic climate, there was a need to give real consideration to our staffing needs. As a firm we actively manage our business, and ensuring that we have the right number of trainees at the right time is key to this. This year presented a unique challenge, given the changes in the market that have occurred since hiring our 2010 trainees. At the end of last year we asked our March 2009 intake if they would like to consider deferring. Many firms now seem to be thinking along the same lines for their September 2009 intake.
Increasing numbers of firms are asking future trainees to defer – but that doesn’t mean their development needs to be put on hold, says Nigel Spencer
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651