Commentary: Will Barter move herald a new kind of general counsel?
After several years of dramatic moves in the private equity community, City observers have been waiting a while for a really interesting transfer, so perhaps it is surprising that, when it came, it wasn't a law firm that was doing the hiring. The appointment in question, of course, is Charles Barter's move to become Bridgepoint Capital as general counsel. By any standard, it is an interesting move. The Travers Smith veteran has impeccable buy-out credentials, having helped to co-found the firm's much-admired private equity team in 1996.And while the firm is viewed as having a decent crop of younger partners, for many, Barter is up there with Chris Hale as the driving force of the buy-out team. Barter's record was underlined by a strong run of deals, taking management roles on major bids such as Saga's £6.15bn merger with the Automobile Association (AA) and on the £1.02bn buy-out of The Tussauds Group. For sponsor roles, Barter was one of the most prolific deal-doers at the quality mid-market level, a record underlined by his lead role for Bridgepoint on the £360m acquisition of Fat Face.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651