Legal Week Comment: In search of the next Bond
Fortune will not always favour caution
As Richard Bond prepares to hand over the reins at Herbert Smith after a five-year stint as senior partner, he can reflect on a successful tenure, with the firm sitting pretty on top of law firm profits tables. Given the firm’s self-confessed minimalist approach to management, it has been an eventful period, although admittedly it has at times reacted to events rather than shaping them. Few partners at the firm would claim that it has ever been a first mover. Instead, they say it draws its strength from the collegiality of its equity partnership, which remains unusually small for a firm of its size. If this conservatism sometimes forces the firm to make up its strategy on the hoof, then so be it. In this department, luck has clearly been on the firm’s side.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651