Walker Morris appoints Smart as chairman
Legal Week reports
Leading Leeds firm Walker Morris has appointed corporate partner Peter Smart as chairman, as part of a wider shake-up of its management. Smart takes over from head of litigation Chris Caisley, who will step down at the beginning of May.The announcement comes just weeks after managing partner and banking partner Philip Mudd opted to step down to return to full- time fee-earning as head of insolvency. Head of banking Michael Taylor has filled his position.Taylor, who will assume his new role at the beginning of next month, confirmed that both he and Smart were the only candidates for the roles. This meant that, under the partnership constitution, an election was not called.“We are not planning any major changes,” Taylor said. “Just because the hands have changed on the tiller does not mean our direction has altered.”As managing partner Taylor is responsible for the firm’s internal management as well as its overall strategy. The chairman’s role is to run partnership, management and strategy meetings. The firm also has a strategy board made up of two elected partners, the managing partner and the chairman.Commercial property partner Richard Innes and corporate and commercial partner Ian Gilbert, are currently elected to the board, but both posts are due for re-election.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651