X

Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.
The Federal Trade Commission gave Glaxo Wellcome PLC permission Monday to acquire SmithKline Beecham PLC after the firms agreed to divest six businesses to rival drug companies. Approval comes 11 months to the day after Glaxo and SmithKline announced their so-called merger of equals, which will leave Glaxo shareholders with 58.75 percent of the combined company and SmithKline shareholders with the remaining 41.25 percent. The British companies said Monday that they expect to close the deal Dec. 27. The U.K. High Court will hold a hearing Wednesday to formally sanction the deal. That is the last regulatory approval required. Based on their combined market capitalization of $176.4 billion as of Monday’s opening price, the acquisition of the SmithKline shares is valued at $72.765 billion. That represents a premium of about $360 million over SmithKline’s Monday morning market capitalization. The FTC agreement does not require the companies to unload any of their smoking cessation businesses, though the agency did reserve the right to later seek such a sale. Glaxo sells the prescription drug Zyban, while SmithKline sells the Nicoderm patch and Nicorette gum over-the-counter. “Glaxo Wellcome and SmithKline Beecham continue to believe that this area does not raise a competitive issue and accordingly continue to expect that no divestiture in the smoking cessation product area will be required in the future,” the companies said in a prepared statement. Glaxo and SmithKline agreed to sell the antiemetic drug Kytril to F. Hoffman-LaRoche, the U.S. marketing and distribution rights for the antibiotic ceftazidime to Abbott Laboratories and the worldwide rights to antiviral drugs Famvir and Denavir to Novartis Pharm AG. The companies also agreed to relinquish to Cantab Pharmaceuticals PLC all rights to Cantab’s DISC technology, which is used to develop a herpes vaccine. They will drop their trademark rights to Zantac in the United States and Canada so that Pfizer Inc.’s Zantac 75 can compete in the OTC H-2 blocker acid relief market. They also will give up intellectual property rights for a popoisomerase I inhibitor, assign IP rights for the irritable bowel syndrome drug frovatriptan to Vernalis Ltd. and give rights to another irritable bowel syndrome drug to Alizyme PLC. “The proposed divestitures will lead to continued competition in these critically important pharmaceutical markets,” said Richard Parker, director of the FTC’s competition bureau. “Perhaps as importantly, it ensures that competition occurs in the future in markets where pharmaceutical products are not currently available, but where existing development agreements will no doubt lead to treatments that will benefit U.S. consumers.” Copyright (c)2000 TDD, LLC. All rights reserved.

This content has been archived. It is available exclusively through our partner LexisNexis®.

To view this content, please continue to Lexis Advance®.

Not a Lexis Advance® Subscriber? Subscribe Now

Why am I seeing this?

LexisNexis® is now the exclusive third party online distributor of the broad collection of current and archived versions of ALM's legal news publications. LexisNexis® customers will be able to access and use ALM's content by subscribing to the LexisNexis® services via Lexis Advance®. This includes content from the National Law Journal®, The American Lawyer®, Law Technology News®, The New York Law Journal® and Corporate Counsel®, as well as ALM's other newspapers, directories, legal treatises, published and unpublished court opinions, and other sources of legal information.

ALM's content plays a significant role in your work and research, and now through this alliance LexisNexis® will bring you access to an even more comprehensive collection of legal content.

For questions call 1-877-256-2472 or contact us at [email protected]

 
 

ALM Legal Publication Newsletters

Sign Up Today and Never Miss Another Story.

As part of your digital membership, you can sign up for an unlimited number of a wide range of complimentary newsletters. Visit your My Account page to make your selections. Get the timely legal news and critical analysis you cannot afford to miss. Tailored just for you. In your inbox. Every day.

Copyright © 2020 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All Rights Reserved.