A legal gig - why Blur's drummer decided to train as a lawyer
It's the first day of the Legal Practice Course (LPC) at BPP Law School's Holborn branch. To break the ice, the tutor suggests that each person tells everyone else what they did over the summer. Cue the usual tales of vacation schemes and exotic holidays. Finally, it's the turn of the scruffy older guy in the corner. "I did some gigs in Hyde Park, then headlined Glastonbury." "A few people thought I was joking at first," explains Dave Rowntree, LPC student and drummer in the band Blur. "But they googled me and found out I was telling the truth. Not that it was a big deal - after a day it was obvious I wasn't going to turn up in a diamond-encrusted Rolls Royce and laud it over everyone. I'm serious about the law and love learning."
Blur drummer Dave Rowntree felt something was missing in his life – so he decided to become a lawyer. Alex Aldridge reports
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651