Forget herding cats - leadership is key to success for law firms
Leading City lawyers believe strong management has helped drive law firms' success in recent years, with new research showing partners are now ascribing far more value to effective leadership than in the past. The latest Legal Week/Big Question survey found that 96% of partners cited effective leadership as being either 'very important' or 'important' to the success of a sizeable commercial law firm. There was not a single respondent who believed management was not at all important in achieving success. Crucially, the survey, which is based on responses from 153 partners, revealed that partners believe those at the coalface are now much more appreciative of the importance of strong leadership at firms, with 55% saying partners attribute 'considerably more' value to leadership now than five years ago. A further 12% said attitudes have changed 'greatly' over the period. Linklaters private equity partner Ian Bagshaw said: "Strong leadership is fundamental to the success of a global firm. There are more and more opportunities open to firms now - sometimes more than they can handle. The quality of the managing partner is to maximise the potential of those opportunities - it is this strategic leadership that firms require."
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651