Lloyd's opens Spanish office with Davies Arnold Cooper
Legal Director reports
Lloyd’s of London has opened its first Spanish office at David Arnold Cooper’s (DAC) Madrid practice.DAC Madrid head Pablo Wesolowski will be Lloyd’s first general representative in Spain, though he will remain in practice with the law firm.Wesolowski, a former managing partner of the firm, has done work for Lloyd’s in Spain for the last 11 years, but this is the first time that the corporation has opted for a formal and permanent presence in the country.“Lloyd’s works, but it works in its own particular way,” said Wesolowski. “My job will be to set up the legal infrastructure to allow Lloyd’s to function within this jurisdiction.” “We have defended Lloyd’s syndicates before, but now we will also be working for the Corporation of Lloyd’s – and we have a written agreement,” he added.DAC confirmed that calls to open a Lloyd’s office in Spain came from the Spanish insurance community.“Wesolowski’s appointment will allow Lloyd’s underwriters to carry out business in Spain and will give Spanish policy holders greater access to us,” said Lloyd’s director of worldwide markets Julian James.“The move will also keep Spanish brokers and cover holders in much closer contact with market developments.”DAC has three partners and 14 lawyers working from its Madrid office.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651