GCs of newly merged Dixons Carphone to share top legal role
The general counsels of Dixons and Carphone Warehouse have agreed to jointly head the newly merged company's legal team.
The general counsels of Dixons and Carphone Warehouse have agreed to jointly head the newly merged company’s legal team.
Dixons Carphone completed its £3.7bn merger last week, with public trading of the company commencing last Friday (8 August).
A spokesperson for Dixons Carphone confirmed that Helen Grantham and Tim Morris – formerly GCs of Dixons and Carphone Warehouse respectively – would share responsibility for the retailer’s legal and company secretarial affairs throughout a process of integration.
It is not currently known how long the integration will take nor whether either lawyer will take the top role on its completion.
In two other recent examples of ‘mergers of equals’ – Glencore’s 2013 tie-up with Xstrata, and T-Mobile and Orange UK’s union to create EE – sole GCs were appointed on or before completion of the merger.
Earlier this year, the chief executive of Publicis said would-be merger partner Omnicom’s eagerness to appoint its own GC to a proposed board led to takeover fears, and contributed to the breakdown of the $35bn (£21bn) merger.
The merger of the two companies earlier this year gifted advisory roles to Linklaters, which and acted for Dixons, and Osborne Clarke and Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, which advised Carphone Warehouse on the corporate and financing aspects of the deal respectively.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651