M&A activity levels continue to languish – but lawyers cling to hopes of deal revival
"It's clear Europe is under-delivering, and it can't stay down for much longer." Speaking to Legal Week at the beginning of the year, Cravath Swaine & Moore EMEA M&A head Richard Hall expressed a view that many deal lawyers have shared for some time now. However, the months since have seen transaction activity levels across Europe fall lower still, with total H1 deal value down 23% on last year and deal volumes down 12% to 5,854 – the worst half-year for European M&A since 2010. The second quarter of 2013 was particularly sluggish, with just 1,140 deals, marking the quietest quarter for European M&A by volume since Q1 2010...
“It’s clear Europe is under-delivering, and it can’t stay down for much longer.” Speaking to Legal Week at the beginning of the year, Cravath Swaine & Moore EMEA M&A head Richard Hall expressed a view that many deal lawyers have shared for some time now.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651