Minster Law plans further expansion after landmark takeover by insurance business BGL
Claims firm Minster Law is targeting significant growth and expansion into new areas of law following its acquisition by insurance business BGL Group – a deal that marks the largest outright takeover of a UK law firm to date. BGL – the owners of well-known insurance brands including comparethemarket.com – acquired the law firm, which last year posted revenues of £107m, for an undisclosed sum, after Minster received Solicitors Regulation Authority approval to convert to an alternative business structure (ABS). Minster is unusual among large law firms in that it works under a corporate structure, with its 840 staff in York and Wakefield comprising around 170 fee earners and just 54 qualified lawyers. It has a particular focus on road traffic accident work, as well as employment, probate, wills and conveyancing. BGL, meanwhile, has 4.6 million customers and employs more than 2,400 staff across a portfolio of brands.
Claims firm Minster Law is targeting significant growth and expansion into new areas of law following its acquisition by insurance business BGL Group – a deal that marks the largest outright takeover of a UK law firm to date.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651