Career Clinic: Will taking a year out at 2PQE be career suicide?
"I am a 1.5 PQE solicitor at a top 10 firm. I reached the decision a few months ago that I no longer wish to remain at my firm due to various reasons and started speaking to recruiters about other opportunities. "I have since decided that I would like to take a year off to travel once I reach 2PQE, not only because this is something I have always wanted to do but also because I believe that now is the only time in my career that I would be able to take this length of time out, given that, for example, I don't have my own clients that I would need to keep in touch with during my time away.
“I am a 1.5 PQE solicitor at a top 10 firm. I reached the decision a few months ago that I no longer wish to remain at my firm due to various reasons and started speaking to recruiters about other opportunities.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651