One for the students: so, you want to work at Big Law?
So you want to be a lawyer? Have you ever asked yourself why? And you want to work in the City, working for Big Law? Have you really really asked yourself why? If you are a regular reader of my blog or follow me on Twitter, you might think I'm a little averse to Big Law LLP or to outhouse in general. I'm not really. It's just a bit of banter with some serious points thrown in. As someone who trained at Big Law (Denton Hall, in the days when it had arguably the best media practice in London) there are many positive things to say about Big Law as a place to train and indeed practice: great training; technically excellent lawyers; sector specialists beyond measure; big brand clients; cutting edge work; big deals (if that's your thing); a certain atmosphere which, like it or not helps instil a sense of discipline and professionalism appropriate to being a lawyer; and let's face reality, it pays law school fees and a decent starting salary.
So you want to be a lawyer? Have you ever asked yourself why? And you want to work in the City, working for Big Law? Have you really really asked yourself why?
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651