Career Clinic: Is it wise to specialise early on in my career?
"I am thinking of qualifying into my firm's asset finance department, but I am concerned that I would be pigeon-holed very early on with no real career prospects outside of aviation in the future should I decide to leave law. "Should I qualify into the asset finance department where I would have more assurance of higher quality work early on due to the departmental culture, or should I qualify into a more general finance department where perhaps my future career prospects would be better with the risk of having lower quality work?"
“I am thinking of qualifying into my firm’s asset finance department, but I am concerned that I would be pigeon-holed very early on with no real future career prospects outside of aviation, should I decide to leave law.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651