Career Clinic: Do expensive BD activities win work?
"Do we really need to spend money on full-on corporate entertaining to win clients? To what extent do boxes at Lord's, days out grouse shooting or tickets to rugby internationals actually cement client relationships? Oftentimes it can feel like the life of a partner is little more than a stomach-increasing succession of expensive lunches and dinners staged in the hope of winning work and keeping the teams working. To what extent should I be worried that my firm's business development budget has been slashed and coffee, rather than lunching (let alone grouse shooting) is the order of the day?"
“Do we really need to spend money on full-on corporate entertaining to win clients? To what extent do boxes at Lord’s, days out grouse shooting or tickets to rugby internationals actually cement client relationships?
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651