Career Clinic: Is the downturn a good time to change specialism?
"Until recently I was an in-house property lawyer with a sound career history. I was also building up experience of general commercial work as I really enjoyed working in-house. Unfortunately, this opportunity was cut short before I had a chance to increase my commercial experience when I was made redundant. I now find myself without any prospects. I have tried transferring my skills to commercial/contracts work (both qualified and unqualified) at both medium and junior levels, and have tried temporary postions, but I am being told either that I don't have sufficient experience or I am too qualified to take a junior role. I appreciate that the economy is not good, but does anyone have an ideas or advice about changing specialism?"
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651