Career Clinic: Has my gap year request ruined my TC offer?
"Having secured a training contract with a City firm, I asked the firm for permission to take a gap year for further study and travel before I commenced my LPC. "After a few months in which I did not hear from the firm, I called up a partner of the firm and was told that 'things were fine and my job was secure'. A while later, HR got back to me saying deferment was 'fine'. However, at no stage was I given anything in writing to confirm these conversations - and I didn't feel asking them for something in writing was appropriate since at that time I thought if they were really keen on reneging the contract there was not much I could do anyway. "Given the fact that they took so much time considering the matter, that I do not have anything written confirming my new start date, and the recent economic troubles, I am really worried about my contract! Are these worries unfounded? Is there anything I can do now?"
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651