Career Clinic: A baby before my training contract starts?
I just found out that I've secured a training contract with a well-known City firm, starting in 2010. As I have just over a year till I start the LPC in September 2009, I'm wondering if having a child between now and then would be a smart or dumb move.I'm married and, at the moment, in a job that pays well for a recent graduate. On one hand, I think that having a child now means that I can get it out of the way and fully focus on my career afterwards; on the other hand, I dread having to deal with "infant" issues in my early years at the firm coupled with being made to feel like a terrible mother with the number of hours I'll be working.What should I do?
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651