Holland & Knight targets Stephenson Harwood for City bid
Legal Week reports
Shipping giant Holland & Knight has approached Stephenson Harwood about a possible merger as the Florida-based firm struggles to secure a London base.Legal Week understands that the US firm has had preliminary discussions with Stephenson Harwood as part of its bid to secure a deal with a mid-tier London firm.The two firms had several meetings in May and June, though Stephenson Harwood has indicated that its focus is currently on expanding its European presence.A partner at Stephenson Harwood told Legal Week: “We have had discussions, but we are not intent on a merger. We don’t really know much about the firm.”The move comes as Holland & Knight, which has 1,200 lawyers primarily in the US, is attempting to expand beyond its Florida base.In May the firm merged with 30-lawyer New York firm Gilbert Segall, taking the size of its New York office to 130 lawyers.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651