DLA expands into Singapore market
Legal Week Reports
DLA last week became the second national firm to venture into the fast-growing Singapore market, as the firm signed up a new member for its international alliance – at the same time as opening a local office. From 1 October, the 21-lawyer J Koh & Co will formally join D&P, the UK firm’s exclusive alliance of international firms, building on DLA’s presence in France, Belgium, Spain and Hong Kong.The firm is the third alliance member DLA has bagged in recent months, with Dutch firm Schut & Grosheide and Italian firm De Berti Jacchia Perno & Associati now both signed up to become full D&P members from 1 January.Formed in 1995, J Koh specialises in project finance, M&A, structured debt and securities.The Singapore office, which will be headed by DLA’s Hong Kong-based partner Mike Melwood-Smith, will initially focus on shipping, marine insurance and international trade disputes.DLA’s Singapore venture is the latest evidence of the firm’s increasing focus on the Far East, having recently applied for a license to allow it to open an office in Shanghai.Commenting on the move, DLA managing partner Nigel Knowles said: “We could not ignore [Singapore's] importance to our clients. It was the natural choice for DLA to open here and, because of the Singapore practice rules, enter into an exclusive alliance with J Koh.”DLA’s move comes after national rival Eversheds set up a formal alliance in August with Singapore firm Khattar Wong & Partners.Eversheds head of international, Victor Semmens, said that Singapore was becoming one of the most important markets in Southeast Asia. “It is very dynamic and it is where the clients want you to be.”
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651