US Companies Filed Record Number of Patent Applications With European Patent Office in 2018
European companies from 38 countries filed the most applications—47 percent—while companies based in Asia, including in China, Japan and the Republic of Korea, filed 22.6 percent.
U.S. companies filed a record number of patent applications with the European Patent Office (EPO) in 2018, according to the EPO’s annual report for 2018. The number – 43,612 – marked an increase of 2.7 percent compared to a year earlier – the second consecutive year that the number of U.S. applications increased, following a decline in 2016.
The U.S. was also the country with the single biggest share of applications at the EPO last year, with 25 percent of the total.
China filed 9,401 applications at the EPO in 2018. While this was an increase of 8.8 percent compared to a year ago, it marked the lowest rate of increase for Chinese applications in five years.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651