A federal judge has thrown out a lawsuit filed by a man who claimed that he contracted a severe respiratory illness after eating up to seven bags of microwave popcorn each day for 11 years. A lawyer for one of the defendants said the ruling was the first among a handful of consumer suits that attempt to tie microwave popcorn to a disease called bronchiolitis obliterans, or "popcorn lung." Several verdicts have been issued in similar cases involving workers at factories that make microwave popcorn.
Suit Blaming Ingredient for Causing 'Popcorn Lung' Is Rejected
The National Law Journal
July 16, 2010