2017 National Pro Bono Week Events in Philadelphia:
- On Monday, Oct. 23-Friday, Oct. 27, a citywide “Philly Jeans for Justice Campaign” will be held at participating law firms, legal departments and businesses throughout Philadelphia. This “Go Casual Day” benefits legal aid nonprofits funded by the Philadelphia Bar Foundation. Employees at participating offices donate $5 or more to wear denim or participate in a donation-driven office activity. Will your office raise the most funds for the foundation’s nonprofit partners? Distribute the donation link around your office to get started. For more information, contact Adrienne E. Brown at 215-238-6322 or email@example.com. The donation link is available at https://www.philabarfoundation.org/events/181/register.
- On Monday, Oct. 23, Philadelphia VIP, in partnership with the Philadelphia Bar Association, will present “Pro Bono Opportunities Day: Recognizing and Responding to Ethics and Practice Issues in Pro Bono Representation,” from 8:30-11 a.m. (breakfast and registration begin at 8 a.m.), at the association’s 11th Floor Conference Center, 1101 Market St. This CLE training will provide 2.5 ethics credits and will include a poverty simulation. Faculty will also guide attendees through three segments that will examine the representation of clients with landlord/tenant, probate and divorce issues, highlighting ethical concerns and offering practice tips. All attorney attendees who volunteer to take a VIP pro bono case within six months of the training session will receive 2.5 ethics credits for free. Any attending attorney who does not volunteer to take a VIP case, must pay a $40 fee for the CLE credits taken at this training program. More information and online registration are available at https://www.philadelphiabar.org/page/EventDetails?appNum=4&eventID=0276L.
- On Monday, Oct. 23, the SeniorLAW Center will provide a training program, “Providing Legal Services Through the Pennsylvania SeniorLAW Helpline,” from noon-2 p.m. at Morgan Lewis, 1701 Market St., Philadelphia. Volunteers will be trained to provide legal advice, information and referrals to seniors who call the PA SeniorLAW HelpLine. Lunch will be provided for those who register in advance. Register by contacting Joanna Jarzebowska at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- On Wednesday, Oct. 25, the Support Center for Child Advocates will present “How to Handle a Child Abuse Case” from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Become a Child Advocates volunteer attorney. Join us for this volunteer workshop and learn from dedicated experts in the field of child advocacy how you can make a difference in the lives of child victims. To register, visit http://sccalaw.org/takeastand/.
- On Wednesday, Oct. 25, the Board Observer Program will present “Nuts and Bolts of Nonprofit Board Service,” from 12-2:15 p.m. (lunch and registration begin at 11:30 a.m.) at the Philadelphia Bar Association’s 11th Floor Conference Center, 1101 Market St. This two- hour CLE program will provide training on the basics of nonprofit board service, including charitable issues raised under state and federal laws for current board members. For more information, visit https://www.philadelphiabar.org/page/EventDetails?appNum=5&eventID=0275L.