People were slated to gather on July 31 to pay tribute to Steve Wallace. The Lubbock attorney was murdered at his law office in the early morning hours of July 23, according to a police report.

“Steve was an assistant county attorney in Parker County, assistant district attorney in Tarrant County and judge of Tarrant County Court at Law No. 2, after which he retired from the bench to go into private practice,” according to Wallace’s obituary on the Resthaven Funeral Home & Cemetery website.

The police incident report said that a “murder” was reported at 2:35 a.m. on July 23 at 1402 Texas Ave. in Lubbock. Police arrested Jestin Wayne Hooker, and the incident report listed the same address for Hooker.

According to the report, Hooker intentionally, knowingly or recklessly caused the death of Wallace, who was “pronounced deceased at the scene.” Hooker was booked into jail for a murder charge at 6:36 a.m. on July 23, according to the Lubbock County Sheriff’s Office Active Jail Roster. As of July 29, the roster didn’t list an attorney for Hooker.

Alexandra Gongora, a deputy district clerk in the Lubbock County District Clerk’s Office, said that Hooker’s case hasn’t come up before a grand jury yet for indictment.

“Our grand jury meets every Tuesday, and so that is when the indictments are done. Once that is done, that’s when we open up all the new cases that the grand jury indicted—on Wednesday,” said Gongora. “Right now, nothing has been filed for Jestin Hooker.”

Police Call

Texas Lawyer requested a “call sheet” of the incident from the Lubbock Police Department. Before releasing the document, the department redacted names and at least 18 “comments.”

The person who called police reported that there was an “altercation” between two people, “and a male is down” and “bleeding.”

The caller “was woken up by a disturbance and went downstairs to check, and the male … was standing over the other male.”

According to the report, the caller lived in the building with his 8-year-old son, and the other two men had “been temporarily staying as well.”

Police arrived at 2:45 a.m. and took the suspect into custody.

By 2:52 a.m., the report said, “do a homicide callout.”

Sgt. Jason Lewis, public information officer for the Lubbock Police Department, said that the medical examiner found that Wallace died from “blunt force traumatic injuries” and ruled that the manner of death was “homicide.”

State Bar of Texas membership records show that Wallace worked at the Law Office of Steven C. Wallace. His listed work address is the same location as the alleged murder.

Remembering Steve Wallace

Kathy Wallace, the ex-wife of Steve Wallace, declined to comment.

“We’ve been told by police not to comment at all,” she explained.

The Resthaven obituary about Wallace said that he was a “man of faith who loved God.” He also loved music, playing guitar and composing songs. He loved Red Raider and Dallas Cowboys football, Rangers baseball and golf.

“But above all else Steve loved his children,” said the obituary. “They were the loves of his life and his greatest pride.”