Alejandro "Alex" Cestero, vice president, general counsel and secretary of Lufkin Industries Inc., is using Bracewell & Giuliani for the Lufkin-based company’s pending acquisition by General Electric Co.
GE, based in Fairfield, Conn., turned to lawyers from Weil, Gotshal & Manges.
On April 8, the companies announced a joint agreement for GE to acquire Lufkin, a provider of artificial lift technologies for the oil and gas industries and a manufacturer of industrial gears, for about $3.3 billion. Lufkin shareholders will receive $88.50 in cash for each share of Lufkin stock they own.
The acquisition, which has been recommended unanimously by Lufkin’s board of directors, is expected to close during the second half of 2013. It is pending approval from Lufkin shareholders, regulatory approvals and customary closing conditions.
On the in-house side at Lufkin, Keith Gee also is working on the transaction.
The Bracewell team includes partners Gary Orloff, Michael Telle, Bruce Jocz, Robert Nichols and Daniel Witschey, all of Houston; Lance Behnke of Seattle; Daniel Hemli of New York City; and Tim Wilkins of Austin.
Others include senior counsel Scott Sherman of Houston and Josh Zive of Washington, D.C., and associates Elizabeth Brummett Behncke, Harrison Bolling, Clay Brett, Erica Hogan, Benjamin Martin, Allison Perry, Zackary Ring, Glenn Strapp and Caroline Wells, all of Houston, along with Marcus Friedman, Rebecca Keep and Marissa Smith, all of New York City.
Corporate partners R. Jay Tabor of Dallas and Danielle Do of New York lead the Weil Gotshal team advising GE.
Others from Weil include corporate partner Howard Chatzinoff of New York; public company advisory group partner P.J. Himelfarb of Dallas; technology and IP transactions partner Charan Sandhu of New York; real estate partner Samuel Zylberberg of New York; tax partners Kimberly Blanchard and Chayim Neubort, both of New York; executive compensation and employee benefits partner Michael Kam of New York; environmental partner David Berz of Washington, D.C.; and complex commercial litigation partner Steven Tyrrell of Washington, D.C.
The Weil Gotshal team also includes corporate associates Elliott DeRemer and Monty Ward, both of Dallas, and Joanna Jia of New York; public company advisory group associate Ade Heyliger of Washington, D.C.; technology and IP transactions associates Marisa Geiger and Janell Wise, both of New York; real estate associate John Goldman of New York; financial institutions regulatory associate Timothy Welch of Washington, D.C.; tax associates Mark Dundon of Dallas and Eric Remijan of New York; executive compensation and employee benefits associate Henry Neading of New York, environmental associate Matthew Morton of Washington, D.C., and employment litigation associate Courtney Fain of New York.
In-house lawyers at GE working on the deal are Briggs Tobin, senior counsel, transactions, for GE and George Flemma, executive counsel-mergers & acquisitions for GE Oil & Gas.
Previous Deals of the Week:
• Deal of the Week: Power Play
• Deal of the Week: Power Up
• Deal of the Week: Power Up
• Deal of the Week: Taking Flight
• Deal of the Week: A Billion in Cash
• Deal of the Week: Big Oil Deal
• Deal of the Week: Houston Calling
• Deal of the Week: Empeiria Acquisition to Merge With Integrated Drilling Equipment
• Deal of the Week: Plains Exploration & Production to Purchase Oil and Gas Properties
• Deal of the Week: Investment Funds Put Up to $500 Million in Sage Midstream LLC
• Deal of the Week: TPC Group Inc. to Acquire First Reserve Corp. and SK Capital Partners
• Deal of the Week: Kinder Morgan Selling Energy Assets
• Deal of the Week: CB&I to Acquire Shaw Group
• Deal of the Week: NRG Energy to Acquire Genon Energy
• Deal of the Week: Dell to Acquire Quest Software
• Deal of the Week: $200 Million Private Offering
• Deal of the Week: Apache to Acquire Cordillera Energy Partners
• Deal of the Week: Deal a Go Despite Stock Market Swoon