Vinson & Elkins represents Energy Transfer Partners L.P. (ETP) of Houston in its pending acquisition of Energy Transfer Equity L.P. (ETE)’s interest in ETP Holdco Corp. for $3.75 billion.
ETE, of Dallas, turned to Latham & Watkins.
On March 21, ETP and ETE announced that ETP will pay $2.35 billion in newly issued ETP common units and $1.4 billion in cash to ETE for the interest in ETP Holdco. ETP Holdco owns equity interests in Southern Union Co. and Sunoco Inc., and with the pending deal ETP will own 100 percent of ETP Holdco. The deal is expected to close during the second quarter of 2013, subject to customary closing conditions.
Both ETP and ETE are master limited partnerships. ETE owns the general partner in ETP.
Thomas Mason, general counsel at ETP, leads the company’s deal team, with assistance from associate general counsel Jason Healy.
The V&E team representing ETP is led by corporate partners David Oelman and Matt Strock with assistance from associates Lande Spottswood and Brett Riesenfeld, all of Houston. Others are tax partner John Lynch and associate Ryan Carney, both of Houston, and antitrust partners Billy Vigdor and Cathy Lewis, both of Washington, D.C.
Houston corporate partners Bill Finnegan and Sean Wheeler lead the Latham team for ETE, with assistance from associates Debbie Yee and Cephas Sekhar. Also tax partner Tim Fenn of Houston and associate Eric Matuszak of Los Angeles are working on the deal.
Previous Deals of the Week:
• Deal of the Week: Power Up
• Deal of the Week: Taking Flight
• Deal of the Week: A Billion in Cash
• Deal of the Week: Big Oil Deal
• Deal of the Week: Houston Calling
• Deal of the Week: Empeiria Acquisition to Merge With Integrated Drilling Equipment
• Deal of the Week: Plains Exploration & Production to Purchase Oil and Gas Properties
• Deal of the Week: Investment Funds Put Up to $500 Million in Sage Midstream LLC
• Deal of the Week: TPC Group Inc. to Acquire First Reserve Corp. and SK Capital Partners
• Deal of the Week: Kinder Morgan Selling Energy Assets
• Deal of the Week: CB&I to Acquire Shaw Group
• Deal of the Week: NRG Energy to Acquire Genon Energy
• Deal of the Week: Dell to Acquire Quest Software
• Deal of the Week: $200 Million Private Offering
• Deal of the Week: Apache to Acquire Cordillera Energy Partners
• Deal of the Week: Deal a Go Despite Stock Market Swoon