A restaurant is not liable to a patron whose left leg was amputated after she contracted a flesh-eating bacteria from eating raw shellfish there, a federal judge in Camden ruled.

Maureen Horan’s suit said the raw clams that made her sick contained acceptable levels of bacteria when harvested and when delivered by a supplier to the Windrift Hotel in Avalon, and therefore the restaurant’s unsanitary conditions were the proximate cause of plaintiff’s injury. But that contention was based on the opinion of an expert, James Oliver. And Oliver’s testimony was not sufficiently tethered to facts or data, U.S. District Judge Renee Bumb ruled in granting summary judgment to the defendant in Horan v. Dilbet.

This content has been archived. It is available through our partners, LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law.

To view this content, please continue to their sites.

Not a Lexis Advance® Subscriber?
Subscribe Now

Not a Bloomberg Law Subscriber?
Subscribe Now

Why am I seeing this?

LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law are third party online distributors of the broad collection of current and archived versions of ALM's legal news publications. LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law customers are able to access and use ALM's content, including content from the National Law Journal, The American Lawyer, Legaltech News, The New York Law Journal, and Corporate Counsel, as well as other sources of legal information.

For questions call 1-877-256-2472 or contact us at [email protected]