A church in Newark that traces its origins to the 17th century has won a legal battle to control its own financial affairs without the involvement of the local arm of the Presbyterian Church USA.
A Superior Court judge in Essex County ruled on June 25 that the First Presbyterian Church is independent of the Presbytery of Newark by virtue of a charter granted to it in 1753 by King George II of England. The judge rejected the Presbytery’s claim that the charter is modified by a New Jersey statute holding the church subject to the constitution of the Presbyterian Church USA.
This content has been archived. It is available through our partners, LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law.
To view this content, please continue to their sites.
LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law are third party online distributors of the broad collection of current and archived versions of ALM's legal news publications. LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law customers are able to access and use ALM's content, including content from the National Law Journal, The American Lawyer, Legaltech News, The New York Law Journal, and Corporate Counsel, as well as other sources of legal information.
For questions call 1-877-256-2472 or contact us at [email protected]