The New York State Board of Elections is warning the public to be aware that scammers are contacting residents via phone calls and text messages in an attempt to gain personal information.
So far, the scam phone calls and texts have originated from the 607 area code and have been reported in Chemung and Steuben counties.
The New York State Board of Elections offers the following tips:
• Do not respond to any phone call or text message offering to register you over the phone.
• Do not provide personal information over the phone or via text message.
• New York state does not allow voter registration by phone.
• Check if you are registered to vote at: https://voterlookup.elections.ny.gov/.
• If you are not registered to vote, print out and complete a voter registration form.
The deadline to register to vote in the Nov. 6 general election is Oct. 12. You can submit a voter registration form in-person at your local Board of Elections or put it in the mail no later than Oct. 12.
Questions can be directed to John Conklin or Cheryl Couser in the Public Information Office at the New York State Board of Elections, 518-474-1953, INFO@elections.ny.gov.