Quinn Emanuel and litigation funder team up for landmark $25bn MasterCard fight
Litigation specialist prepares to sue credit card company following ruling it breached competition laws
In the latest sign that commercial litigation finance is shaping global litigation, Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan said on Wednesday that it is readying a novel $25bn (£19bn) UK claim against MasterCard on behalf of British debit and credit card holders.
The action, which Quinn Emanuel said it expects to file in a specialised competition tribunal in late July or August, will be the largest case by far under a year-old UK law that expands the ability of private parties to seek collective redress for violations of UK competition law.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651