'A tragedy' - Travers Smith senior partner Chris Hale on Brexit result
The pro-Remain lawyer on the bumpy road ahead for law firms in a nation outside of the EU
The result of the vote yesterday is – for liberal, cosmopolitan Londoners like me – a tragedy. The European Union (EU) has brought huge advantages for western Europe. It helped establish peace and security in a previously war-torn part of the world and the single market has assisted the UK in moving from the sick man of Europe to one of the higher growth economies in this part of the world.
It also provided job and educational opportunities for my generation, which in large part will now be denied to our children. A detailed examination of the economic, political and security arguments pointed in one direction – Remain.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651