A job half done – has DLA's much-lauded hire of Tony Angel delivered on its promise?
Expectations were high when DLA Piper brought in former Linklaters managing partner Tony Angel in late 2011. With a reputation as someone unafraid of making difficult and unpopular decisions, and tasked with reinventing DLA's UK practice and better integrating the US and international arms of the firm, Angel's hire sent a signal to the market: DLA meant business. But despite the fact Angel's costly hire – with the package rumoured to be worth some £2m a year – was always intended to be for a fixed term, some partners within the firm were surprised by the news that he was to step down as global co-chair in January 2015. "It had been on the cards," said one. "But it was a lot quicker than we expected." Now, as the firm prepares to hand over to a new leadership team – with Nigel Knowles set to take over from Angel as co-chair and UK intellectual property partner Simon Levine succeeding Knowles as co-CEO – attention is focusing on what Angel's legacy at DLA will be.
As the global co-chair prepares to step down, what will Angel’s legacy at DLA be? Anna Reynolds reports
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651