The AXA man – AXA UK's legal head on getting tough on law firm fees
Edward 'Ed' Davis is slimmer than his Google images – the result, no doubt, of a recently acquired obsession with cycling. "I'm absolutely passionate about it," he admits, his eyes glazing with thoughts of country lanes or aerodynamic handle bars or whatever it is about the sport that has him hooked. The self-confessed MAMIL (Middle-Aged Man In Lycra) is fortunately wearing a suit and tie and leads the way into a chilly, white-walled meeting room, sparsely decorated with clip-framed AXA promotional posters. He apologises for the temperature and smell of fresh paint as if he is personally responsible – the first indicator that this is a company man through and through. Davis has spent the majority of his career at AXA Group, the French global insurance and asset management giant boasting 163,000 employees in 57 countries. In the UK, the core businesses of AXA Wealth, AXA PPP Healthcare, AXA Commercial and AXA Personal Insurance employ some 13,000 people nationally.
Edward Davis, AXA UK’s bike-mad general counsel, puts his calm demeanour down to a difficult start to his career. But he still has tough words for law firms about their fees, writes Kate Durcan
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651