Lands of opportunity – charting the rise of Africa as an attractive destination for deal lawyers
With much of the world economy in the doldrums, Africa is an increasingly attractive prospect for investment. And while it's risky to generalise about 54 countries, there is a theme of increased sophistication when it comes to the deployment of legal services across the continent. Nuno Antunes, director at Miranda, a practice that has a long-standing alliance in Africa, describes the situation as something of an ‘economic conundrum', given the rate at which Africa is growing compared to the rest of the world. He also notes an increasingly long-term approach to investment in the continent. "Short-term gains are not easy, if they ever were, in the current volatile economy," he says.
While many western markets continue to suffer in the difficult economic climate, Africa is emerging as an attractive prospect for investors. Lucy Fisher talks to lawyers working in the continent about the opportunities and obstacles that lie in the region
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651