Career Clinic: Pupillage was a mistake - should I switch to a career as a solicitor?
"At the senior end, QCs with lucrative paper practices probably enjoy a more comfortable lifestyle than magic circle partners with their billing targets and constant marketing/networking..."
“I am currently undertaking pupillage at a provincial common law set of chambers, and am due to qualify in October 2012. Getting pupillage was incredibly hard, took years of my life and required moving out of London into the provinces. However, having now experienced life at the Bar, I think I have made a mistake in choosing to qualify as a barrister and feel I would have been better off pursuing a career as a solicitor.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651