Career Clinic: Should I turn down a magic circle job to pursue my tech law ambitions?
Should I leave the firm I'm at and try to qualify into this area at a different firm, or would this be a bad idea? Should I just stick with what I have? Maybe try to move in a few years?
“I am in my fourth seat at a magic circle firm. I have the option to qualify into one of the departments that I have completed a seat in, but my interest has long been in IP/IT law. I have previous industry experience of the IT sector, and in future I think I would enjoy going in-house in this area.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651