Gov’t refers News Corp-BSkyB bid to Competition Commission as Hackgate racks up legal roles
Legal wrangling over News Corporation’s controversial bid to take over BSkyB stepped up a gear this week as the proposed deal was referred to the Competition Commission. The referral by culture secretary Jeremy Hunt on Monday afternoon (11 July) was made in response to News Corp withdrawing from a proposed undertaking to spin off Sky News and came amid mounting public pressure for the tie-up to be halted as allegations continued to emerge in the ongoing phone-hacking scandal.
Murdoch’s takeover bid for BSkyB is referred to Competition Commission as hacking controversy heats up
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651