"It’s the thick ones that say they want to be barristers from day one"
Okay, that's a provocative title. I should say straight off that I am not suggesting that those who actually get into the Bar are thick. Indeed, what I am interested in is what '‘commitment' to become a lawyer says about the aptitudes of that student. Let me explain. The inflammatory quote is how one of my colleagues described typical personal tutee meetings with students about their career intentions. She said this to me when I told her that the recent Sutton Trust Report on performance at University had found that:
Okay, that’s a provocative title. I should say straight off that I am not suggesting that those who actually get into the Bar are thick. Indeed, what I am interested in is what ‘commitment’ to become a lawyer says about the aptitudes of that student.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651