M&A Team of the Year
Herbert Smith's regional focus on India and Africa combined neatly with its telecoms expertise to land it the plum role advising Bharti Airtel on its £7bn acquisition of Zain Africa, which operated in no fewer than 15 African countries. This was the second-largest overseas acquisition by an Indian company ever and handed Herbert Smith a unique set of logistical and technical challenges. The team was led by corporate partners Michael Walter and Alan Montgomery and head of global TMT Nick Elverston. Merger deals involving telecoms companies always tend to be complex because of the regulatory implications of such deals. The fact that this transaction spanned 15 African countries, including the likes of Chad, Congo-Brazzaville and Uganda, made securing regulatory approval particularly difficult.
WINNER: Herbert Smith
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651