General Counsel of the Year
Many of the British Legal Awards judges are general counsel. It was evident during their deliberations that they felt great sympathy for Tony McDonald, general counsel of National Express Group, who helped steer National Express through a tumultuous period that included knife-edge negotiations with the Government over a rail franchise that had run into trouble and a hostile takeover by a consortium that included a major shareholder, which was in turn blocking a rights issue designed to stabilise the company's finances. Then there were the corporate governance issues thrown up by the resignation of the chief executive and elevation of the chairman to executive chairman status as an emergency measure.
WINNER: Tony McDonald, National Express Group
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651